Sunday 21 September 2014

"You can't start the new chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one."

Hey everyone!

It has been a while, but here I am, back with a short blog post J
A few days ago, whilst taking a break from my preliminary reading for the second year of university, I stumbled across this quote:

“You can’t start the new chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one.”

Sadly, I have no idea who this is from, but I really like it.
Like a lot of people, I tend to reminisce quite a lot, alongside imagining comebacks (preferably when I’m under the shower) and over-analysing conversations which, in most cases, don’t need to be analysed at all. I blame this on the fact that I think too much  – my driving instructor once asked me what exactly was so complicated about turning the steering wheel because I kept thinking about the how and why and if instead of simply doing it. (One time, he also held his right arm out of the car window because I forgot to indicate. I definitely remembered afterwards!)
Anyways - because I reminisce that much, I am always in two minds about change. On the one hand, I get terribly excited about anything new, which is why I enjoy studying in London and its vibrant atmosphere that much. At the same time, I don’t like letting go of things – as much as I was looking forward to going to university, I had enjoyed my time in sixth form which left me feeling quite nostalgic for a good while.

Whenever I catch myself feeling down about things that have changed, I try to think about the alternative. Yes, school was nice, being around a set group of friends felt comforting and okay, there was not that much responsibility and independence to deal with. But would I like life to stay like that forever? Without moving on to many more, exciting things to come? Hell, no.

To put it in the words of the quote, re-reading the last chapter of one’s life is comforting and it feels secure. It can never get you anywhere new, though.

To remind me of that, I made the quote my phone and laptop background.
Fake it till you make it, eh?

Speak to you soon and I hope you have a wonderful week

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment