Sunday 22 June 2014

Music favourites are DIFFICULT

Hello everyone! I hope you are having a great weekend :)

After quite a deep post on Friday, I decided that it would be nice to have something a little bit different today.

Well…
I have two addictions. One is chocolate (I'm drinking a hot chocolate as I'm typing this) and the other one is listening to music, preferably all day long. I reckon that writing a blog post about chocolate would not be terribly entertaining…also, it would just make everyone very hungry.

So music it is.

Music favourites are DIFFICULT


My obsession with music probably runs in the family. My grandma always used to joke about how my mum should have a radio implanted because she was listening to it that often.
Sadly, with a passion for music also come moral dilemmas (aka the hardest, most complicated questions to answer):

'What is your favorite song?'
      - 'Erm…I don't think I have one'
'or your favorite band?'
      - 'I really don't know, sorry'
'…come on, you must at least have a favourite singer?'
      - '…'
NO. No, I do not. Sorry.

I always feel like calling something a 'favourite' immediately sticks a label on it. The apparent 'favourite' somehow gets so inflated that it becomes easy to be reduced to whatever you said you liked. 
Suddenly, you are 'the one who loves pop music', 'the one who is obsessed with the colour pink', 'the one who likes football'. If you then, in a separate conversation, suggest that you also quite like rock music, love to decorate your bedroom with grey accessories and are a fan of table tennis, then everyone looks at you a bit bewildered and confused - yes, nearly reproachful because you have apparently 'changed your mind'.

That is not necessarily the case. I like songs that are in my opinion catchy and have good lyrics which I can relate to.
I like artists who are creative, who have a nice voice or are great at playing a chosen instrument.
I enjoy listening to bands that harmonize well and (lacking a better way to describe it) fit together.

Now - none of these criteria above are very interesting; and all they really mean is that I do not like to put my music taste in a certain box or category because it constantly changes anyway. 
...So really, the problem is that I'm terribly indecisive when it comes to music.

Whenever I have tried to explain my opinion to people, they just kind of stared at me for a while until hesitantly saying something like 'but surely there must be someone you like the MOST' in which case there is a choice to be made.
I could either attempt to choose a possible 'favourite' which would result in a random shout-out of various names followed by a 'or maybe not' going on for a day and a half…
…or I could just give up, seem boring and say that I do not have a favourite.

The latter is the choice I usually go for. 

As a side note, I could possibly name artists, bands or songs which are NOT my favorites, but sadly, that question hardly ever comes up. 

What are your thoughts? Are you less indecisive than me and have music favourites?

Let me know and thank you for reading
xxx

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog!!:) Great post!
    -Lauren xoxo
    http://pretty-things-a-n-d-polka-dots.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete