Tuesday 24 June 2014

"The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up" - Paul Valéry

Hello everyone! I hope you are doing well :)
Today I'm back with a (hopefully) motivational kind of post. 
I wasn't too sure if I am brave enough to write something like this, but then I thought 'why not'. I can only ever share my own thoughts and hope that you enjoy reading them :)

I never used to be the kind of person that would be very inspired by quotations. Many of my friends had their favourite ones stuck or even drawn onto the wall, and I remember being very fascinated whenever someone was saying that they 'lived by' a certain quote.

What changed that attitude was the compulsory 'favourite quote' section in my Yearbook which, at the time, stressed me out a little bit.
Without going into the problematic realm of 'favourites' again (much of that in my last post!), I couldn't think of ANY quote that had influenced me and my life in some way, let alone one that I had particularly loved.

I was very tempted to ask my friends about what they were putting, but that would surely have defeated the point of having a quote with was personal, so I gave up on that idea.
Instead, I decided to look for a quote myself. 
Where? Well, I suspect you can guess.
'Motivational quotes - *click*'
Yes. GOOGLE.

Just like most google searches, I was confronted with an incredible amount of choice and websites to go through…it would have been easy to spend hours and hours going through quotations most of which were absolutely incredible.
Really, I would have been happy with most of them being in my Yearbook.

Yet, I came across one which stood out to me:

"The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up" - Paul Valéry

Why? 
It is difficult to specify what exactly motivates me whenever I read this quote, but I will try to give you my understanding of it:

No matter what your dream is, you have to push yourself to DO something towards achieving it.

If you really, really feel like baking a cake then you have to go and buy ingredients.
Simply sitting in your room will not make anything happen because you cannot expect a cake to bake itself while you are not doing anything.
Yes, I agree, that example sounds a bit silly.
Really, though, what is the difference between a small dream like wanting to bake a cake and a much bigger one?
You will always need to take a first step, let it be one which DIRECTLY leads to achieving your dream or one which only slightly contributes towards it.

Just because you cannot see HOW taking one particular step has helped, does not mean that it was not worth it.

Waking up and realising what your dream is and in which kind of direction you should be going is this first step. Nothing can ever guarantee that your step is going to lead to many others eventually helping you to achieve your dream.
What can be guaranteed, however, is that without such a first step, nothing new can every follow.

This is what Valéry's quotation means to me and it is what inspires and pushes me to step out of my comfort zone and actually DO things I feel passionate about.

Does Valéry's quote mean something different to yo? Which quotation do you love and find motivational?

Let me know and thank you for reading 
xxx

2 comments:

  1. Lovely blog! (:

    Kelly x

    http://thebellevieproject.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete