Saturday 12 September 2015

So you're feeling homesick…?

Hey everyone, I hope you're doing well :) 

We're almost halfway through September (only 3,5 months until Christmas…there, I said it), which also means that a lot of people are about to start or go back to university. Now - there are SO many things to talk about and I could very easily write the longest blog post on that topic, but instead, I thought I would focus on what is quite close to my heart: how to cope with feeling homesick.

Any guesses on where this was taken? 100 points if you guess it ;) 

1. Keep yourself busy: Especially when you've just moved in and everything is unfamiliar to you, it's best not to sit in your room by yourself thinking about how much nicer it would be at home. However, 'keeping yourself busy' doesn't necessarily have to mean going out clubbing all night - I'm the kind of person who always needs to feel comfortable and somewhat settled first, so for me, going out with a bunch of people I don't really know yet would just make me feel more homesick. 
You might be completely different, but certainly don't worry if you do feel like simply staying in, chatting to people in the kitchen and getting to know them. That's fine, too.

2. Make yourself feel 'at home': This can mean SO many things - from decorating your room nicely to having a cup of tea every evening. When you feel overwhelmed by everything, then never feel like you shouldn't do something just because of what other people may think. If you feel like being on the phone to your mum for an hour, then go for it. If it helps you to cuddle your stuffed animal - absolutely nothing wrong with that either. Do whatever makes you feel more at ease.

3. Don't be afraid to talk about it: Especially when you've only just started to get to know people, it can be really hard to be yourself sometimes. But don't pretend. If you are feeling homesick and someone asks how you are, don't tell him/her that you've never felt better. Be honest - say that you are missing home. Chances are they will or have gone through the same thing and if they do judge you, then they aren't worth your time. 

4. Feeling homesick isn't just something you 'grow out' of: And I mean that in a good way. I've heard so many people say that once you hit a certain age, you won't feel homesick anymore. If you then still do, then that can make you feel like you're not normal, and that there's something wrong with you. 
Feeling homesick is normal, no matter how old you are. This will be the fourth year in a row that I'll be leaving home again after the summer and I know that I will probably feel homesick at some point. Especially after spending a long time at home, or even in the middle of term when you're ill or stressed, it's normal to miss your family. Every time I call my mum saying that I miss home, she tells me that it simply shows how much home means to me. Her saying that always really helps me - it makes me realise that there's a silver lining in most things. 

Remember that feeling homesick isn't like learning how to cycle. You don't just learn it one day and are fine ever after. Instead, you slowly learn how to cope with it - a little bit better every single time. 


Let me know if you found this post helpful and if you have any other tips about moving away from home and coping with feeling homesick. xx

8 comments:

  1. It's really true saying this. If anything, I would bring something recognisable for me, or just keep journal. Very good post. It is truly helpful. Take care always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment :) Yes, a journal is a great idea, too! xx

      Delete
  2. This is so great. I agree and I think making yourself feel more at home by decorating really helps you learn to love where you live!

    Morgan | theradwife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Morgan! Yes, that's definitely true. :) xx

      Delete
  3. aw this is such a cute post and good idea! I'm just in my second week at uni and I moved pretty far from home (planes journey) so I feel ya. Decorating my room with my things and photos totally helped me! It makes it less clinical and more of a pretty place you feel safe in and look forward to :) I also got some plants/flowers to make it feel more homely. Since we're not allowed candles here I put some fairy lights in jars for a cute glow. I also love to cook proper meals as they feel more like home too! Even the smell of bolonaise makes me feel right in my Grandma's kitchen!
    Lovely post,

    Catherine xx
    california-souls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! :) Oh yes, plants are great, too! And fairy lights are such a cute idea. Eating properly is so so important, it definitely makes you feel more at home. I hope you are having an amazing time at uni and thank you again for the kind words xx

      Delete
  4. This is such a helpful post! It'll help a lot of people out.
    I'm planning leaving home within the next few years for uni (all depends how things work out) so this was really useful to know.
    I just followed your blog, I can't wait to see more!☺️X

    Morveneilidhh.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much! I'm glad you found it useful :) And thank you for following! Have a lovely day xx

      Delete