Wednesday 19 August 2015

'Flat auditions'

Hey everyone, I hope you are doing well! 

I'm currently very busy flat hunting because as you may know, I'll be going to university in Cologne in October. Back in London, I lived in student accommodation because it was affordable, close by and filled with loads of other students (so pretty much exactly what I wanted). Sadly, getting student accommodation is very difficult in Cologne, so I've been busy going through tons and tons of ads, contacting tons and tons of people and getting very few replies. (Honestly - if an ad has been up for longer than an hour, you can pretty much forget about it already, it's that crazy). 


I thought I would counteract the craziness of flat hunting a little bit ;)

One thing that was completely new to me was the concept of 'flat auditions'. Because there are so many people looking for a place to live, it's no longer enough to simply browse through ads, contact the person and view the flat. It's no longer about being asked questions about who you are in order to find out whether a flatshare would work. No, it's going far beyond that point.

As an example, I came across an ad yesterday where two guys were looking for a third person to live with. In the ad itself, they had already included a proper questionnaire for people to fill in when contacting them. Some questions were pretty normal (what kind of music do you like, how old are you etc.), but some were actual CHALLENGES.

'Think of something to put in the flat. Get creative.'

And then, my personal 'favourite':

'Tell us a joke'.

Now I guess that due to the number of people looking for something having 'flat auditions' is probably the only possible way of going about finding flatmates. Yet, I find the concept really awkward. As much as I want to get to know my future flatmates, I'm not sure if I like to be judged purely based on my flat decorating originality and joke telling ability. 


Have you ever come across the concept of 'flat auditions'? Do you find it as strange as I do?

Have a lovely day xx

8 comments:

  1. Them: So, do you have any weird habits, such as collecting plastic bags?
    You: Ummmmmm, no . . .
    Them: We do, soory, you can't live here
    You: Okay , , ,

    I remember when my sister went through this, you will probably find somewhere that is nicer than all the other places and the people will accept you so keep looking :D

    Catherine
    smileycentral106.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha oh wow, I can totally imagine something like that happening! Thank you so much for your lovely comment :) xx

      Delete
  2. It's actually quite a similar website :) Yeah, I think you're definitely right - it does depend on the time of the year as well! Ohh good luck with job hunting!!! Yes definitely, we'll find something eventually :) Thank you for commenting xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thankfully didn't have to go through this because when i was looking for a place I had a group of 5 friends and a brand new 5 bedroom apartment opening up in the fall when school started! This situation sounds kinda weird though ahah..... but nonetheless if people put out quizzes with funny questions like that then you know they'll probably be fun people to live with! I wish you the best of luck at finding a place!

    Jade

    http://www.accidentallyjade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh that is lucky! Yeah, you're right :) Maybe they are actually really funny people. Thank you so much! Hopefully I'll find something nice soon. Thank you for leaving a comment xx

      Delete
  5. wow amazing blog post ( as always) had a good read !!
    I just love your blog !!!

    I would love your thoughts on my new video


    NewVideo

    have a wonderful day

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment, Jade! I just checked out your video and really like it! I'm in love with the burgundy/white striped jumper, it's so pretty :) Have a great day too! xx

      Delete