Friday 26 December 2014

'Girl Online' - a thought

Merry Christmas everyone!

My friend got me Zoe Sugg’s ‘Girl Online’ for Christmas and as I love reading her blog and watching her youtube videos, I was over the moon to have a copy in my hands.
There has been a lot of discussion about her having some help writing her book and I do not want to share a full opinion on this because – frankly – I’m not informed enough to have one. 
All I want is to express a thought.



For me, the main message of ‘Girl Online’ is to take a step back and think: think about what you are about to say on the Internet, especially if you only know your tiny share about the issue.
I find it ironic that as soon as the book was published, there were comments and opinions floating around the Internet criticizing the process in which ‘Girl Online’ had been written, questioning Zoe’s role in it.
I am not going to take a stance on this. Again, I don’t consider myself as informed enough to be able to.
Instead, I think that – no matter whether you have an opinion on this or not – we should all remember the message of ‘Girl Online’. Take a good step back from the Internet, maybe even from yourself, and appreciate the irony of people immediately jumping to conclusions about a book, which tries to open our eyes to the danger of doing precisely that. I know that I’m not the first one to say this. I’m pretty sure that I won’t be the last one either. But I really, really wish that we could all take the message ‘Girl Online’ sends to heart and just think a bit more sometimes. Do not express an opinion until you are sure in yourself and confident that you are informed enough to really hold said opinion – ESPECIALLY online.

In terms of ‘Girl Online’ itself: Zoe, if you ever read this (which I’m 99% sure you won’t), I started reading your book as soon as I unwrapped it. I did not stop until I had finished it.
And also, I might now have a bit of a literary crush on Noah.

For those who haven’t read it yet: If you get the chance, try and get your hands on a copy of this book if you feel like spending a cosy evening with a feel good book that could also make you think and question some aspects of our lives, in particular those online.


Lots of love xx

No comments:

Post a Comment