Tuesday 9 December 2014

Last week blues

Hello and Happy December!!

I have been terrible at blogging, not so much because I have forgotten that I had a blog, but simply because I have been very busy: I hadn't quite realised how much more work the second year would be as opposed to the first year of university. Also, I don't think that I took last year serious enough in terms of studying, so I've really tried to make more of an effort lately. 

As I'm writing this, it's my last week of lectures for this term which feels absolutely crazy. 
My professor ended today's lecture with 'see you in 2015', which - frankly - blew my mind. Is it just me or does 2012 feel like yesterday?? As it is the last week of term, I think a lot of people are experience something like 'last week blues', a term which, yes, I totally just made up. It is true though, that everyone is tired and run down, just wanting the studying to end to fully indulge in the festive season. 
It is also the time of the year when a lot of people get ill. I have been very lucky this term, because I miraculously managed to avoid catching Freshers Flu (apart from three days of feeling a bit sniffly, but I don't count that), but for the past two days I've pretty much been in bed the entire time with a cold and a sore throat feeling sorry for myself and all the fun I am missing out on. That is probably the worst thing about being ill - knowing that you COULD do so much with your time. I could have gone to a christmas market today. But you know what, instead I'm in my room watching youtube all day and totally not doing anything productive with my life. Thrilling. What is even worse though is how dysfunctional I get. I had forced myself to go to a lecture this morning, because I did not want to have to catch up that much over Christmas and on my way back home I decided to do some food shopping. That really was not a brilliant idea. The supermarket was super busy, I could not open the plastic bag you get at the self-checkout because my fingers were too cold, so I tried to squeeze my entire food shop into my uni bag, making it very heavy so I could not carry it on my shoulder. I then had to carry it with both hands just in front of my body, which - probably - made me look a bit stupid. 
On a more serious note, I really dislike this tendency to feel sorry for myself when I have a cold. It is really not the end of the world. I know that. I know that in a few days, or a week (or however long it will take me to feel 100% fine again), I will look back at this post and frown upon how whiny I have been. 
Future me, if you're reading this: Stop being too vain/lazy to put a scarf on. Put it on properly as well, don't just decoratively let it hang around your neck, because that is not going to keep you very warm. Most importantly though, APPRECIATE that you are feeling good. 

Brb, back to bed xx

No comments:

Post a Comment